Wednesday, September 2, 2009

American Icons Ideas


Will Smith. West Philadelphia he was born and raised. He started rapping at 12 years old. He got the nickname "Prince" because of how he was able to slide and smooth talk his way out of trouble; eventually into "Fresh Prince" when he hit high school. His rapping career started off when he met Jeff Townes (a.k.a. DJ Jazzy Jeff). He rejected a scholarship from MIT to follow his dream. His biggest idols were Michael Jackson, Malcolm X, Fred Rogers, and Carol O'Connor. his influences were Eddie Murphy and Grandmaster Flash. He and DJ Jazzy Jeff were doing really really well until Will Smith forgot to pay his tax and nearly went bankrupt. Luckily he and DJ Jazzy Jeff came out with another album He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, the first hip-hop LP to go double-platinum. Then in the late 80's he met Benny Medina who wanted to make a sitcom based on his life from Philly to Beverly Hills called Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. It became a hit and lasted for 6 years.

I chose Will Smith because he's one of the greatest actors to ever walk this Earth (in my opinion). Will Smith is a really cool nice person. When I met him at the Kids' Choice Awards about 2-3 years ago, I got to talk to him and be able to hang out with him for a little while before he had to go. He told me, "Follow your dreams and be the best at whatever you do; don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't do it."




I chose Tyler Perry because he too had issues with his dad at one point was homeless. He inspires me because of how he never gave up; he was successful in all of his plays and movies.
















I chose Jaleel White also known as steve Urkel is because I can relate to his character. Steve has shown me that you don't have to be afraid to be smart.















No comments:

Post a Comment